Thursday, August 8, 2024

Toot and Puddle

Toot and Puddle
Holly Hobbie 1997

Toot and Puddle lived together in Woodcock Pocket.

Holly Hobbie's sweet story about a pair of piggie friends was always the perfect analogy for my friend Margaux and me. (In fact, I'm pretty sure I've given her this book!) 

Puddle is perfectly happy cooking in his kitchen, walking through the woods, swimming in the pond.  While Toot craves travel and adventure.  Throughout the year as Toot sends Puddle postcards of his trip around the world, Puddle enjoys the changing seasons in Woodcock Pocket.  What a wonderful way to show how two friends can want to see the world differently and still find a way to share that with each other.

When I first met Margaux I was Puddle (home with two little children, baking, walking around our small town) and she was Toot (off traveling the world on her own).  All these years later there's been a bit more world travel in my life and Margaux has settled into her 5 acre wood.  I think that's the wonderful thing about a long friendship, you grow and change and become a little more like each other in some beautiful ways.  











1 comment:

  1. Yes! I have it on my shelves. You wrote, "Margaux, this is us!) on the left end sheet, The other side torn out - likely another inscription. I so wish they didn't tear it out! I cannot wait to read this today when the day settles.

    ReplyDelete