Thursday, January 5, 2012

Dean Books

illustrated by Janet and Anne Grahame Johnstone 1979


(When I was little this was my favorite picture of Cinderella.)


I've had this Cinderella book since I was a child (I had even written my name in it).  I loved the illustrations, but was never able to find out who the illustrator was.  Through the years I've stumbled upon two more "Dean Board Books".







 Then at the thrift store I struck the jackpot with this large volume of fairy tales.  It turns out the illustrators were twin sisters, Janet and Anne Grahame Johnstone, who worked exclusively together.  Their mother was an artist and costume designer, which makes sense because one of the things I love most about these pictures are the clothes and costumes.  I'm feeling that compulsion to start collecting all their books!

illustrated by Janet and Anne Grahame Johnstone




(Madeleine spotted this page and had to read the story.  She loves cats, especially when they're dressed 17th century!)







If anyone has anymore information about these books or the illustrators I'd love to hear it.  Here's a site with some more info and pictures.

10 comments:

  1. I found their big "Mother Goose Book of Rhymes" with one page missing in October; and I have one Dean board book from my childhood, "Christmas Carols". The Mother Goose book credits both but the board book was done in 1979 and just has Anne as illustrator (on the very last page at the bottom). Since Janet died in 1979, "Cinderella" may have been done by Anne alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think our board books were only done by Anne also. I noticed online that there are other pictures for a Cinderella story that are different from the board book we have. Maybe it came from another fairy tale compilation. I like that the sisters worked together so closely until Janet died.

    Thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love cinderella:) I love the illustrations in this set! Ill have to take a peek when I come over next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to dig around, I know I have one of their books.
    Thanks for the link, I didn't know any of the history of these artists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squee! Lots of goodies to look for at the library! I am LOVING Yankee Doodle's peacock feather, of course! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog through a mom blogger in my area & just about screamed out loud with glee when I saw the pic of the big book of fairy tales!!! I found this book at a thrift store for a couple of dollars & it was used as inspiration for my senior costume design collection in college...I LOVE the illustrations, so beautiful, this has stayed on my bookshelf ever since & I hope to read it to my daughter when she's a little older someday...thanks for the link, it was wonderful to learn some info about the women/sisters who illustrated it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I would love to see what kind of designs were inspired by this artwork! Glad you found our bookshelf.

      Delete
    2. I'm working on redoing my blog, as soon as the new one is up I can let you know (I'll have my portfolio on it)...or right now my pinterest pic (https://pinterest.com/mamamiss/) is the main design from that collection (it's kind of cut off though)

      Delete
  7. Thank you for posting this! I've been trying to figure out who did the illustrations to a Cinderella book I had as a child for a while now! It's so nice to see them here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the Johnstones too, have a few of their books and want more!!

    ReplyDelete