Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Ukelele and Her New Doll

This was a book that I had when I was little.  I picked up this copy several years ago from a friend of mine who owns a wonderful antique shop called The Nest.  As a child I loved this book because I loved that the little girl was so attached to her homemade simple doll.  (Now I also wonder if the story is a subtle critique of colonialism!).  

Ukelele 
Clara Louise Grant
pictures by Campbell Grant 1951

 Ukelele lives a happy island life with her parents and older brother.  Her favorite plaything is the wooden doll that her father made.  When a tall sailing ship appears and a foreign sailer gives Ukelele a fancy china doll she soon realizes that even though the doll is unique and beautiful, it can't replace her beloved wooden one.  This might be my favorite of the classic Little Golden Books!











No comments:

Post a Comment