Saturday, April 22, 2023

I Think I Will Go to the Hospital

 At first I thought this book was illustrated by Steven Kellogg, the style is very similar (though I much prefer Tamburine).  Published in 1965, it hopes to allay the fears of going to the hospital for little children.  Suzy, wearing a kind of ridiculous hat, needs to have her tonsils out, but she's afraid and refusing to go.   Her mother takes her to visit the hospital and after talking to different people and learning what the nurses and doctors actually do, she changes her mind.  It was fun seeing the vintage hospital beds and medical things.  So much has changed with what a hospital stay looks like now, but the message of reassurance to a fearful child is still the same.

I Think I Will Go to the Hospital
Jean Tamburine 1965











No comments:

Post a Comment