Thursday, November 18, 2021

Kay Nielsen

 Oh Happy Day!  The mailman brought a Kay Nielsen book to my house and I have been spending all morning drooling over the illustrations.  

Kay Nielsen
An Enchanted Vision





(This illustration for The Shepherdess and the Chimney Sweep, a story by Hans Christian Andersen, was clipped from a magazine when I was a teenager and hung in my bedroom for years.  It was my first introduction to Nielsen.)



Arthur Rackham, Edmund Dulac, and Kay Nielsen are my favorite "Golden Age of Illustration" artists.  We are lucky enough to have some collections of their work illustrating fairy tales and other books, including this beautiful reproduction of Norwegian folk/fairy tales.
 
East of the Sun and West of the Moon
illustrated by Kay Nielsen










No comments:

Post a Comment