Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Morning has Broken


Morning has broken
Like the first morning,
Blackbird has spoken
     Like the first bird.
Praise for the singing!
Praise for the morning!
Praise for them, springing
     From the first Word.

Sweet the rain's new fall
Sunlit from heaven,
Like the first dewfall
     In the first hour.
Praise for the sweetness
Of the wet garden,
Sprung in completeness
     From the first shower.

Waking at 5am for my job at the coffee shop can be rough.  But oh the rewards when I walk down and see the sun rise!  I sometimes even sing the hymn "Morning has Broken" on my way.  (Cat Stevens has the most beautiful rendition.). It was only recently that I learned that Eleanor Farjeon wrote the original verse "A Morning Song (For the First Day of Spring)".  We have it in our 1957 copy of The Children's Bells.

No comments:

Post a Comment