Wednesday, September 21, 2022

The Adventures of Madalene and Louisa

Sometimes books come to me in the most fortuitous ways.  Recently I was at an estate sale.  Unbeknownst to me, the sale had been going on all summer and I was only catching the last of it.  I was there to pick up a sofa but ended up digging through what was left in the boxes and bins.   Lots of fabric and vintage clothes and tablecloths from the 1940's.   I didn't have the time or energy to start unpacking and looking through all the boxes of books.  I picked up some 1930's magazines and this book that was lying right on top.  I didn't even really get a chance to look at it- all I saw was Victorian and insects!

When I got home and had a chance to sit down and properly read it I was thrilled!  It is the story and drawings of two Victorian sisters who are obsessed with entomology and drive their other sister and painting teacher crazy with their antics.  The watercolor pictures are quirky and beautiful and absolutely wonderful!  Of all the books I could have chanced upon at that sale, this one was surely right on top just for me!!

The Adventures of Madelene and Louisa
Louisa Pasley and Madalene Pasley 
1980



As a joke the sisters portrayed themselves as old spinsters.




They also drew themselves shrunk down to size or with giant insects.




This one has a look of Edward Lear to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment