Friday, April 12, 2019

Persephone

Anais Mitchell's Hadestown has been on heavy rotation here.  I'm dying to go see the show in NYC!  It's a retelling of the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice with appearance by Hades and Persephone.  I am always stirred by Mitchell's music (oh, her voice!) and am intrigued by her treatment of this ancient story.

Sally Pomme Clayton
illustrated by Virginia Lee 2009

We have a fair collection of Greek and Roman myths- vintage versions, re imaginings, picture books, etc...  Madeleine studied Latin all through high school and is currently minoring in it and getting a teaching certificate for it at University.  I'd like to think it was all this early exposure that set her on her path :)

This straight forward retelling has quite lovely illustrations.  As a mother with daughters, I could completely imagine the grief and desperation of Demeter.  And anytime we buy and eat a pomegranate I always mention Persephone.

After reading this book one night to Charlotte, I showed her the achingly beautiful song by Martha Wainwright.  She sings of the Roman equivalent, Proserpina.  I heard Charlotte humming it all the next day.














No comments:

Post a Comment