Monday, December 31, 2012

How Does It Feel to Be Old?

I asked Chris today what makes him feel older- his birthday, or New Years.  He said "New Year's" because everyone is celebrating and it's another year passing for everyone, while on your birthday it's just a year passing for you (and you can ignore it if you want to!).

I often think about growing old.  Madeleine and I even joke about how I was meant to be a grandmother.  Maybe that's why these books about time passing and aging always hit me in my chest (I'm looking at you Roxaboxen and Someday).  So of course I love this book in that heart-clenching way. 

Norma Farber
illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman 1979

Trina Schart Hyman's pictures are perfect as usual. "How does it feel to be old"? A grandmother answers that question in funny, frank, and nostalgic ways, sharing her life and memories with her granddaughter.



There's more to an old, old woman than what appears.  There's all that she's been before.  Before and after, both.






And only barely recalling the youngster who long, long ago was me with never a hint of a fear of falling.


No comments:

Post a Comment