Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Ounce Dice Trice

This book is FANTASTIC!  It arrived the other day and I can't stop reading it and talking about it to everyone in my family!  Charlotte and Madeleine both once made up a list of their favorite words (Charlotte's included "soapbox") and I think it's fair to say that we are language lovers in this family.

Alastair Reid
Drawings by Ben Shahn 1958

Astair Reid's introduction says it all, how words can sound and feel wonderful.  He goes on to list squishy words, words to be said on the move, names for elephants and kittens and whales.  Names for groups (how brilliant is a "snigglement of string" or "a tribulation of children"?!).  He gives words to sounds ("Ploo" is breaking your shoelace, "kinclunk" is a car going over a manhole cover, "paloop" is the tap dripping in the bath.). And most wonderful of all, a garland of odd words and their definitions circling back around to each other.  

Such a fun book that will surely inspire you to "collect words for yourself" if you haven't already!














1 comment:

  1. Thank you for suggesting this to me today! I love your review even more, as I hear you all in it!

    ReplyDelete